Thursday, September 08, 2005

sorry, sorry

Every time I sit down to write a post, I realize that I am just too busy. I still am, but have 15 minutes before I head off to work...

Oh, and once I log on, my mind goes blank. I think that this is what several friends of mine refer to as "blog block". It's not that I don't have anything to write, but rather that there is so much going on, I just don't know where to start.

One of the things that I've been thinking about lately - as various friends of mine go through ending relationships, or stay in relationships that I have various judgements about - is what exactly do we/I mean when we talk about "love"? What does "I love him" actually mean? It's certainly been a good place to start conversations with all sorts of people - my friends, my mom, Steve, myself... I'm not getting to any real conclusions, but it has been, for me, an interesting and revealing question.

Sam remains Sam - getting off of the bus during the first week of school saying "back from the salt mines..." Although he actually likes school, I believe.

We had an amusing trip out to Costco the other day - what else do you do on labour day, but stock up on soft toilet paper and bagels? The horn on our charming (but currently somewhat embarrassing) BMW convertable seems to have a loose wire somewhere, so for the entire drive out and drive back we were intermittently honking at everyone... Which would have been fine in the DR, but NO-ONE in Tokyo ever uses their horn. Particularly when paying their toll at the toll booth... So now, there are a whole batch of Tokyo-ites who think that there is some weird gaijin horn-honking habit. Oh well... I like to do what I can to further the cause of cross-cultural (mis)understanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home