Friday, April 28, 2006

oh, oh, oh

I keep getting more and more excited!

Havana!!!!

Our pre-posting medicals are done, and none of us are dying of a dread disease (although I had a weekend where I was dying of cancer because my urine test was a little odd - turns out I am "normal" - I think that actually reads "neurotic" for me...). Sam made it through his various (2) needles without screaming once (most likely because I was off in another room at the time getting xrayed or peeing - abnormally, that time - in an impossibly small cup).

I'm finishing up my last training at TELL, so work is starting to look finished - whenever a big new issue comes up, I can defer to my replacement, as I am LEAVING! Although there are a couple of things coming up that I will be doing - presenting the Life Line to kids (shudder) at various international schools... I have no problem presenting to adults, but put me in front of 50 kids and I am a wreck. How do I do this? What do children want? Friendly? Youthful? Accessible to youth? How do you exude those things? I have no idea... Good thing most of my friends are all grown up...

And I have to start our inventory, which is a big stinky list of everything we are moving, what it is worth, where it is going, how it will get there... My thought is that this might actually be important this time, as most of our belongings will be going by sea and arriving in Cuba during hurricane season.

And I foolishly read the pre-posting report from the Havana Embassy, which kindly informed me that the only things that I can rely on finding in the grocery stores are "beans, rice, rum, cigars, mayonnaise and olives". And bring everything else you might need in a three year period... Ha ha ha. I figure if I start with enough of the rum, I can make a decent (if repetitive) meal out of the rest of the ingredients. I hope the dog likes mayo on her beans.

But whenever I get stressed about it, I just check the weather in Havana...

3 Comments:

Blogger MissSin said...

ooh...it all sounds so exciting.

and who said all your friends are grown up? we're all just pretending at being grown ups...

12:57 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im wondering whats on the shopping list for that container to Havana!?!

3 years of toilet paper
3 years of Omo and Softly
3 years of excellent wines
3 years of dog food
3 years of frozen pizza (heh, just kidding)

Maybe you could get Yamaya to deliver...?

I was gonna say you can pick up shoes and books on the internet, but, um, your access is a bit limited, ne... ok

3 years worth of red and dancing shoes

hmmm, what else...

9:58 a.m.

 
Blogger Indigorayz said...

hey! Finally got to reading some blogs! Experiencing some study blocks so have timeon my hands!MY god! Havana! YOU lucky lucky lucky things.....Now for the 3 year list...include chocolate,a little sunscreen ,some soda water and a damn fine bikini and you should be just fine.........

10:10 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home