Saturday, March 19, 2005

it's not like it sounds...

last friday night (I know, I'm slow to blog, but busy with life), we took Sam over to "Happy Hour" at the embassy so that he could sell his share of raffle tickets for his school festival. He did great - sold 40 tickets in about an hour, and developed a nice little patter, too ("part of the money will go to tsunami relief" - who could say no to that?).

And then he was sitting at the bar drinking his hot chocolate and eating the caramel-pretzel things that someone had brought along. I was standing next to him, chatting with a couple of people - embassy staff and moms of the other kids here. Sam was pigging out on the pretzels, so I asked him to slow down, save room for dinner, and leave some for other people. And he turned to me and said:

"don't worry mom. I'm not taking marajuana, I just like them."

on my part: stunned silence

on the part of those around us: stunned silence

I realize where that came from - from Steve letting him watch clips of Monday Report - one of which shows Canadian icon Pierre Berton giving tips on how to roll a joint.

So much for the benefits of exposing him to Canadian culture...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like he really knows how to get your attention. Would this be a "teaching moment?" For whom?

2:21 p.m.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what, i actually won a table in that raffle and i have been searching for a way to takkybin it back out of my life ever since! I think im on to something, but just in case... does any one want a meter wide round table...?

11:12 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home